- BUSINESS BLOGGING TIPS
Is Reddit Relevant to Your Blog Writing and Content Strategy?
While Facebook, Twitter and the other big name social platforms get all the glory when it comes to building brand followings via community outreach, there’s another contender on the digital block that’s worthy of a spot in the conversation. Long viewed as nothing more than another web forum, Reddit now stands as one of the most vibrant, active, and valuable communities online, according to an expert blog post writing service. Before you make the big mistake of writing off this platform, let’s spend some time talking about how best to utilize Reddit, as well as how this site can infuse your blog writing and content strategy with newfound energy and impact.
Naturally, this claim about Reddit standing with Facebook and other prominent platforms probably flies directly in the face of everything that you’ve been told about promoting and spreading the word regarding your content. However, it doesn’t take much digging to uncover the powerful facts that support this statement as truth.
To put it simply, Reddit is one of the hottest domains on the web, and things are only looking up for the massive digital community. In fact, Amazon’s Alexa ranking system places this rising virtual commodity as the 29th most visited site in the world, and 10th overall in North America.
“To the uninitiated, Reddit looks like a mess – text links, comment threads, points, upvotes, downvotes. At best, posts seem contextless — at worst, totally random.” – Matt Silverman, Mashable
Essentially, Matt Silverman of Mashable notes that while Reddit might look like a mess to the untrained eye, there’s actually a method to the madness of “The Front Page of the Internet.” Instead of operating like a streaming real-time network that lacks a community filter, the members of Reddit curate links, content, and posts on their own through a voting system. Enjoyable and relevant content earns “upvotes,” while substandard offerings quickly fall into obscurity via the harsh ranking penalties that come with “downvotes.”
Aside from the community-oriented curation approach, Reddit also segments itself into smaller groups, known as “Subreddits.” These Subreddits hone in on specific angles and aspects of a discussion, providing focused conversation and expert interaction. The best part about this system? The very nature of these subreddits ensures that as you seek out relevant groups, you’re automatically learning more about the target audience, thus expediting the all-important segmentation of your target viewership.
Breaking down the Relevant Subreddits
A blog post writing service will tell you that in terms of Subreddits that fit your blog writing and content marketing needs, the list could go on and on ad infinitum – after all, Reddit currently lays claim to over 653,485 unique subreddits, according to the statistical research conducted by the experts behind Reddit Metrics. However, for the sake of this guide, we’re going to boil the discussion down to the following five selections based on their relevancy to the world of content marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and brand awareness tactics.
- /r/Entrepreneur – With 132,289 members, this subreddit aims to discuss the finer points of growing and developing burgeoning businesses in the modern digital world.
- /r/Startups – Much like /r/Entrepreneur, this 82,130 strong forum offers feedback, advice, and ideas to marketers and brand owners from all walks of life.
- /r/BigSEO – Designed for professional agencies, as well as in-house SEO operations, this growing community of over 8,000 members discusses site optimization strategies, best practices, and case studies.
- /r/ContentMarketing – While /r/ContentMarketing might be smaller than the over members on this list – laying claim to less than 1,000 followers – the tight knit viewership found within covers everything from content tactics to blogging and brand ideas.
- /r/Blogging – With a more general focus on blogging best practices, this subreddit and it’s nearly 7,000 users offer feedback and constructive criticism on emerging and established sites alike.
Going Beyond the Basics with Your Reddit Tactics
“If you’re willing to invest time subscribing to great subreddits, and unsubscribing from those you find distasteful, the site can be a great tool.” – Clare McDermott, Content Marketing Institute
The final – and by far the most important – part of this in-depth look at Reddit’s ties to your content marketing and blog writing operations comes in the form of setting you up for success on this platform. As the Content Marketing Institute’s Clare McDermott explains, it all starts with treading lightly as you enter this community.
Reddit is full of horror stories regarding overly promotional posts and events, so it’s important to participate sparingly as you learn the unwritten rules of each subreddit and community. If you doubt this claim, just check out Mashable’s list of worst “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) fails for further proof of the need to approach Reddit from the right angle.
Once you’ve found the proper subreddits for your brand or content needs and you’re ready to start posting, McDermott goes on to suggest pumping the brakes a little before you dive in head first. By spending some time listening to the tone and style of the conversation, you can better prepare yourself – and your content – for the scrutiny and questions that will no doubt follow new members of the community.
Finally, as you start spreading links and information, ask yourself one very important question: Does this content help your fellow Redditors? If the answer is yes, then you’re well on your way to maximizing the impact of your time within the world of Reddit. Should you find your response on the other end of the spectrum, you’ll probably want to take things back to the drawing board before you feel the wrath of both the community and the official Reddit moderators.
Any blog post writing service will tell you there’s no denying that growing your brand’s reach, and your own knowledge of blog writing and content strategy, on Reddit requires quite a bit of hard work and effort. However, by putting what you’ve learned here to good use, it won’t be long before you stand as one of the most prominent and respected voices on The Front Page of the Internet.
The ultimate goal of content marketing is offering your target audience information and materials that will engage them and motivate them to choose your business.
Seems easy, right?
Often, companies will simply share general content to please everyone. But let’s be honest: you can’t win them all. And that’s okay!
Rather than throwing a line and hoping the fish will bite, create Thought Leadership content strategically catered to your target market. Consider the people who would genuinely need or care about what your business offers, rather than wasting time, effort, and resources on creating general, unfocused content. Successful content marketing involves promoting your products and services to the people interested in the subject matter, who will read the content, click on your company website, and take action.
As an executive of an organization, you are a valuable piece of the brand. Consumers want to know about the human presence leading companies, in order to understand more about the company’s values and goals.
Take advantage of your position as an industry expert and share extra content to attract more attention to yourself as an industry leader and your company. Your quality content will build your reputation as a reliable voice to earn your consumer’s trust. However, if it’s not focused on your target audience, you won’t earn many conversions from your content.
Consider these techniques to guide your Thought Leadership content so it can expand and strengthen your loyal consumer following:
- Identify your target audience by reviewing your current consumer data and identifying who is investing in your business or reacting to your thought leadership materials so far. Look for trends to find why these people are interested and if others like them haven’t been reached yet.
- Conduct customer research to learn how they will respond to your thought leadership content. Request participation in surveys, polls, social media comments, and more to learn about your existing impression on your audience and how you can improve your platform.
- Create target audience character profiles. Identify their interests, demographics, pain points, needs, and desires, and write to them.
- Find where your current and potential audience is active online. Catch their attention by being active and sharing your content marketing materials on these platforms.
- Pull inspiration from other Thought Leader examples. Research other executives within your field who implement successful content marketing through their personal platforms. Learn what qualities make their content attractive and why readers respond to it positively. These examples can offer a base for you to visualize what you want to achieve.
- Recognize your strengths as a Thought Leader. Often, leaders aren’t necessarily aware of the unique talents that give them an advantage in their industry until asked. Reflect on what topics you know best and how to input your insights to humanize your materials, make them original and more engaging for your audience.
Case Study: How Strategic Content Marketing Can Broaden Your Audience
In our client strategy calls, our team will interview our expert clients to learn about their industry expertise and find out what’s meaningful to them, their business, and then identify who we believe to be their target audience. We use these insights to inspire our content subject matter and tone to create impactful content for their current and potential consumers.
For example, our client, Dr. Nitin Desai, approached our strategy team to create content to promote his COVID Pre-Check app. His innovative software is intended to help employers ensure their employees who enter the office are COVID-free, providing a safe environment by eliminating the chance of spread.
Our team of strategists recognized that with Dr. Desai’s thorough professional knowledge around the COVID-19 virus, he had the potential to become a reliable voice in a culture of people seeking answers. We created content for Dr. Desai that focused on sharing COVID-related insights to reach a wider audience, which has been a successful mission. Our thoroughly planned content reflected his industry expertise, which brought him attention from various media outlets and publications, including Forbes.
By reaching out to our professional content marketing team, Dr. Desai achieved his goal of promoting his groundbreaking app, while also positioning himself as an authoritative voice in his field. Our team learned about his voice, discovered what was meaningful to him and his target audience, and optimized this to create focused, engaging content that broadened his consumer scope.
Ready to Invest In Your Article-Writing.co Thought Leadership Package?
At Article-Writing.co, we understand that you have a lot on your plate. Let us share your voice on your behalf, so you don’t need to add more time to your busy schedule to write your own content marketing. Our strategists and creators will develop a plan to create engaging materials to represent your Thought Leader brand through your own specialized Thought Leadership Package.
Let us help you strengthen and broaden your consumer base for continued professional success. Book a call today.