- BUSINESS BLOGGING TIPS
The Top 8 Tools to Help You Write Killer Headlines
Why Headlines Matter Now More Than Ever
By now, everyone knows that a headline determines how many people will read a piece, particularly in this era of social media. But, more interesting, a headline changes the way people read an article and the way they remember it. – Maria Konnikova, The New Yorker
Chances are that some of the people reading this post don’t really think it’s all that necessary to fret over winning headlines. After all, plenty of content marketing talking heads have no problem telling the rest of the online world that great content “speaks for itself.” Unfortunately, as The New Yorker’s Maria Konnikova explains, today’s article writing landscape has never been more dependent on great headlines.
Simply put, readers have access to a seemingly limitless supply of content, so headlines help these viewers separate and differentiate everything from serious news stories to opinion pieces and lighthearted satire. Without a strong “first impression” guiding the way for your article writing endeavors, it’s virtually impossible to stand out on such a crowded virtual newsstand.
- Headline Wizard – Based around a short series of questions, the Headline Wizard takes this information and generates multiple powerful titles for your blog posts. This tool is perfect for those who aren’t quite sure how to bring their article writing ideas to life under one a strategically sound headline.
- Content Row Linkbait Title Generator – Not every title has to come across like it was created by an award-winning journalist; just look at the airy and fun offerings from Buzzfeed and other socially-oriented sites that blaze a path across the web. With this in mind, Content Row’s Linkbait Title Generator takes a single subject and crafts several light and engaging titles for you to choose from as you work toward a better viral marketing outcome.
- B-Rhymes – In terms of adding a certain “catchy” element to your headline writing repertoire, few tools can compare to B-Rhymes. All you need to do is add a word from your potential headline idea to the entry field and this rhyming dictionary will help you figure out the perfect rhyme selection to help complete your blog title jingle.
- Quandary Content Idea Generator – If you’re not even sure what to write about, then the Quandary Content Idea Generator is right for you. Simply answer the listed questions and this tool will offer up ideas for compelling content in the form of potential blog headlines and subjects.
- CoSchedule Blog Post Headline Analyzer – Aside from standing as a content planning and distribution platform, CoSchedule also offers a free Blog Post Headline Analyzer. At its core, this tool checks the technical value of your headline by assigning scores based on the header’s potential boost to traffic, ability to generate social shares, and overall SEO worthiness.
- HubSpot’s Blog Topic Generator – From one of the biggest names in the content marketing world comes a tool that’s fast, easy, and effective at developing winning blog topics and headlines. Simply input three nouns that describe your content piece and the team over at HubSpot will do the rest.
- Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer – Perhaps the most impressive addition to the list, the Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer determines the Emotional Marketing Value (EMV) of your blog title by analyzing how it will fare with the intellectual, empathetic, and even spiritual portions of your target audience.
- Inbound Now’s Blog Topic Idea Generator – the final tool on the list is a quick and convenient selection that generates SEO friendly headlines in the blink of an eye. Don’t like what you see? Just keep clicking the generator button until the tool loads up a headline that works for your article writing needs.
Keeping Your Headline Strategy on Pace
Of course, simply handing over a list of tools doesn’t quite tell the whole story when it comes to creating powerful headlines. To ensure you extract the maximum potential found within these selections, content marketing expert Jennifer Goforth Gregory of The Content Marketing Writer blog notes that it’s also important to keep your article writing strategy and headline goals on the cutting edge of the industry.
You don’t just want people to click your headline, you want the right people to click your headline. – Jennifer Goforth Gregory, The Content Marketing Writer
As you look through the topics and title generated by the tools above, ask yourself a few quick questions about these selections.
- Does your potential headline speak to the right portion of your audience?
- How well do your keywords fit into this offering?
- Is there a simpler and more straightforward variation that conveys the same point?
- In terms of length, have you considered the desired platform and audience when deciding upon a word count?
If you can keep these concerns and guidelines in mind as you sift through the aforementioned tools, then there’s no reason why your article content writers can’t leverage the power of these content marketing aides and take your viewership by storm with powerful and engaging blog headlines.
The ultimate goal of content marketing is offering your target audience information and materials that will engage them and motivate them to choose your business.
Seems easy, right?
Often, companies will simply share general content to please everyone. But let’s be honest: you can’t win them all. And that’s okay!
Rather than throwing a line and hoping the fish will bite, create Thought Leadership content strategically catered to your target market. Consider the people who would genuinely need or care about what your business offers, rather than wasting time, effort, and resources on creating general, unfocused content. Successful content marketing involves promoting your products and services to the people interested in the subject matter, who will read the content, click on your company website, and take action.
As an executive of an organization, you are a valuable piece of the brand. Consumers want to know about the human presence leading companies, in order to understand more about the company’s values and goals.
Take advantage of your position as an industry expert and share extra content to attract more attention to yourself as an industry leader and your company. Your quality content will build your reputation as a reliable voice to earn your consumer’s trust. However, if it’s not focused on your target audience, you won’t earn many conversions from your content.
Consider these techniques to guide your Thought Leadership content so it can expand and strengthen your loyal consumer following:
- Identify your target audience by reviewing your current consumer data and identifying who is investing in your business or reacting to your thought leadership materials so far. Look for trends to find why these people are interested and if others like them haven’t been reached yet.
- Conduct customer research to learn how they will respond to your thought leadership content. Request participation in surveys, polls, social media comments, and more to learn about your existing impression on your audience and how you can improve your platform.
- Create target audience character profiles. Identify their interests, demographics, pain points, needs, and desires, and write to them.
- Find where your current and potential audience is active online. Catch their attention by being active and sharing your content marketing materials on these platforms.
- Pull inspiration from other Thought Leader examples. Research other executives within your field who implement successful content marketing through their personal platforms. Learn what qualities make their content attractive and why readers respond to it positively. These examples can offer a base for you to visualize what you want to achieve.
- Recognize your strengths as a Thought Leader. Often, leaders aren’t necessarily aware of the unique talents that give them an advantage in their industry until asked. Reflect on what topics you know best and how to input your insights to humanize your materials, make them original and more engaging for your audience.
Case Study: How Strategic Content Marketing Can Broaden Your Audience
In our client strategy calls, our team will interview our expert clients to learn about their industry expertise and find out what’s meaningful to them, their business, and then identify who we believe to be their target audience. We use these insights to inspire our content subject matter and tone to create impactful content for their current and potential consumers.
For example, our client, Dr. Nitin Desai, approached our strategy team to create content to promote his COVID Pre-Check app. His innovative software is intended to help employers ensure their employees who enter the office are COVID-free, providing a safe environment by eliminating the chance of spread.
Our team of strategists recognized that with Dr. Desai’s thorough professional knowledge around the COVID-19 virus, he had the potential to become a reliable voice in a culture of people seeking answers. We created content for Dr. Desai that focused on sharing COVID-related insights to reach a wider audience, which has been a successful mission. Our thoroughly planned content reflected his industry expertise, which brought him attention from various media outlets and publications, including Forbes.
By reaching out to our professional content marketing team, Dr. Desai achieved his goal of promoting his groundbreaking app, while also positioning himself as an authoritative voice in his field. Our team learned about his voice, discovered what was meaningful to him and his target audience, and optimized this to create focused, engaging content that broadened his consumer scope.
Ready to Invest In Your Article-Writing.co Thought Leadership Package?
At Article-Writing.co, we understand that you have a lot on your plate. Let us share your voice on your behalf, so you don’t need to add more time to your busy schedule to write your own content marketing. Our strategists and creators will develop a plan to create engaging materials to represent your Thought Leader brand through your own specialized Thought Leadership Package.
Let us help you strengthen and broaden your consumer base for continued professional success. Book a call today.