- BUSINESS BLOGGING TIPS
The Top 8 Tools to Help You Write Killer Headlines
Why Headlines Matter Now More Than Ever
By now, everyone knows that a headline determines how many people will read a piece, particularly in this era of social media. But, more interesting, a headline changes the way people read an article and the way they remember it. – Maria Konnikova, The New Yorker
Chances are that some of the people reading this post don’t really think it’s all that necessary to fret over winning headlines. After all, plenty of content marketing talking heads have no problem telling the rest of the online world that great content “speaks for itself.” Unfortunately, as The New Yorker’s Maria Konnikova explains, today’s article writing landscape has never been more dependent on great headlines.
Simply put, readers have access to a seemingly limitless supply of content, so headlines help these viewers separate and differentiate everything from serious news stories to opinion pieces and lighthearted satire. Without a strong “first impression” guiding the way for your article writing endeavors, it’s virtually impossible to stand out on such a crowded virtual newsstand.
- Headline Wizard – Based around a short series of questions, the Headline Wizard takes this information and generates multiple powerful titles for your blog posts. This tool is perfect for those who aren’t quite sure how to bring their article writing ideas to life under one a strategically sound headline.
- Content Row Linkbait Title Generator – Not every title has to come across like it was created by an award-winning journalist; just look at the airy and fun offerings from Buzzfeed and other socially-oriented sites that blaze a path across the web. With this in mind, Content Row’s Linkbait Title Generator takes a single subject and crafts several light and engaging titles for you to choose from as you work toward a better viral marketing outcome.
- B-Rhymes – In terms of adding a certain “catchy” element to your headline writing repertoire, few tools can compare to B-Rhymes. All you need to do is add a word from your potential headline idea to the entry field and this rhyming dictionary will help you figure out the perfect rhyme selection to help complete your blog title jingle.
- Quandary Content Idea Generator – If you’re not even sure what to write about, then the Quandary Content Idea Generator is right for you. Simply answer the listed questions and this tool will offer up ideas for compelling content in the form of potential blog headlines and subjects.
- CoSchedule Blog Post Headline Analyzer – Aside from standing as a content planning and distribution platform, CoSchedule also offers a free Blog Post Headline Analyzer. At its core, this tool checks the technical value of your headline by assigning scores based on the header’s potential boost to traffic, ability to generate social shares, and overall SEO worthiness.
- HubSpot’s Blog Topic Generator – From one of the biggest names in the content marketing world comes a tool that’s fast, easy, and effective at developing winning blog topics and headlines. Simply input three nouns that describe your content piece and the team over at HubSpot will do the rest.
- Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer – Perhaps the most impressive addition to the list, the Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer determines the Emotional Marketing Value (EMV) of your blog title by analyzing how it will fare with the intellectual, empathetic, and even spiritual portions of your target audience.
- Inbound Now’s Blog Topic Idea Generator – the final tool on the list is a quick and convenient selection that generates SEO friendly headlines in the blink of an eye. Don’t like what you see? Just keep clicking the generator button until the tool loads up a headline that works for your article writing needs.
Keeping Your Headline Strategy on Pace
Of course, simply handing over a list of tools doesn’t quite tell the whole story when it comes to creating powerful headlines. To ensure you extract the maximum potential found within these selections, content marketing expert Jennifer Goforth Gregory of The Content Marketing Writer blog notes that it’s also important to keep your article writing strategy and headline goals on the cutting edge of the industry.
You don’t just want people to click your headline, you want the right people to click your headline. – Jennifer Goforth Gregory, The Content Marketing Writer
As you look through the topics and title generated by the tools above, ask yourself a few quick questions about these selections.
- Does your potential headline speak to the right portion of your audience?
- How well do your keywords fit into this offering?
- Is there a simpler and more straightforward variation that conveys the same point?
- In terms of length, have you considered the desired platform and audience when deciding upon a word count?
If you can keep these concerns and guidelines in mind as you sift through the aforementioned tools, then there’s no reason why your article content writers can’t leverage the power of these content marketing aides and take your viewership by storm with powerful and engaging blog headlines.