copy that converts
Writing to Your Target Market
Your content might be amazing, but if it never reaches the people you’re writing to, what’s the point? Writing specifically to your target audience will help you focus on the type of writing you should be doing, test how your customers feel about your content, and learn how to convert that copy into sales.
These are three steps that will help you get your content to your target audience for the best chance of creating copy that converts to sales.
1. Define your Target Audience
To define who you should be targeting with your copy, start by looking at who your current customers are. Is there one age group that tends to be most interested in your product or service? Are all of your current customers local? Use the information your customers provide when signing up for newsletters, the information they give when placing orders, and the demographics provided by your website and social media.
After finding out who is currently buying your products or services, start to think about how you’d like to expand that customer base. What other groups would you like to be marketing your products or services to? What’s the logical next step in growing your audience?
2. Create Your Ideal Customer
When you’ve nailed done some of the demographics of your customer base and the people you’d like to add to that base, you can use that information to create a profile of your ideal customer.
Here are a few things to consider when creating your ideal customer profile.
- Gender – is your product or service marketed specifically to women or men?
- Age – What life stage is your ideal customer in?
- Geographical Location – Are you marketing to customers specifically in North America? Is your ideal customer a city dweller or living in the suburbs?
- Occupation – Are you writing to high-level executives or blue collar workers? Mid-level professionals or stay at home moms?
- Income Level – How much money does this person make individually or how much does the family make together?
- Education Level – Are you writing to those with a high school education or advanced degrees?
3. Write to that One Person
After creating the profile of your ideal customer, keep that fictional person in mind every time that you begin to write so that you’ll always be writing copy that converts to sales from your target audience. Writing to only one person instead of trying to write copy that resonates with everyone can make your task much less overwhelming.
As you write, act as though you’re writing to that one person specifically. Think about what messages would encourage them to take an action step like following you on social media or checking out your online shop after reading your copy. Consider any objections they might have and address those potential concerns through your writing. Use wording and strategies that would speak to that one person.
Need help writing?
Now that you’ve pinpointed your target audience, are you ready to create copy that converts? We’re here to help. Contact Article-Writing to find out how to turn your words into sales.
The ultimate goal of content marketing is offering your target audience information and materials that will engage them and motivate them to choose your business.
Seems easy, right?
Often, companies will simply share general content to please everyone. But let’s be honest: you can’t win them all. And that’s okay!
Rather than throwing a line and hoping the fish will bite, create Thought Leadership content strategically catered to your target market. Consider the people who would genuinely need or care about what your business offers, rather than wasting time, effort, and resources on creating general, unfocused content. Successful content marketing involves promoting your products and services to the people interested in the subject matter, who will read the content, click on your company website, and take action.
As an executive of an organization, you are a valuable piece of the brand. Consumers want to know about the human presence leading companies, in order to understand more about the company’s values and goals.
Take advantage of your position as an industry expert and share extra content to attract more attention to yourself as an industry leader and your company. Your quality content will build your reputation as a reliable voice to earn your consumer’s trust. However, if it’s not focused on your target audience, you won’t earn many conversions from your content.
Consider these techniques to guide your Thought Leadership content so it can expand and strengthen your loyal consumer following:
- Identify your target audience by reviewing your current consumer data and identifying who is investing in your business or reacting to your thought leadership materials so far. Look for trends to find why these people are interested and if others like them haven’t been reached yet.
- Conduct customer research to learn how they will respond to your thought leadership content. Request participation in surveys, polls, social media comments, and more to learn about your existing impression on your audience and how you can improve your platform.
- Create target audience character profiles. Identify their interests, demographics, pain points, needs, and desires, and write to them.
- Find where your current and potential audience is active online. Catch their attention by being active and sharing your content marketing materials on these platforms.
- Pull inspiration from other Thought Leader examples. Research other executives within your field who implement successful content marketing through their personal platforms. Learn what qualities make their content attractive and why readers respond to it positively. These examples can offer a base for you to visualize what you want to achieve.
- Recognize your strengths as a Thought Leader. Often, leaders aren’t necessarily aware of the unique talents that give them an advantage in their industry until asked. Reflect on what topics you know best and how to input your insights to humanize your materials, make them original and more engaging for your audience.
Case Study: How Strategic Content Marketing Can Broaden Your Audience
In our client strategy calls, our team will interview our expert clients to learn about their industry expertise and find out what’s meaningful to them, their business, and then identify who we believe to be their target audience. We use these insights to inspire our content subject matter and tone to create impactful content for their current and potential consumers.
For example, our client, Dr. Nitin Desai, approached our strategy team to create content to promote his COVID Pre-Check app. His innovative software is intended to help employers ensure their employees who enter the office are COVID-free, providing a safe environment by eliminating the chance of spread.
Our team of strategists recognized that with Dr. Desai’s thorough professional knowledge around the COVID-19 virus, he had the potential to become a reliable voice in a culture of people seeking answers. We created content for Dr. Desai that focused on sharing COVID-related insights to reach a wider audience, which has been a successful mission. Our thoroughly planned content reflected his industry expertise, which brought him attention from various media outlets and publications, including Forbes.
By reaching out to our professional content marketing team, Dr. Desai achieved his goal of promoting his groundbreaking app, while also positioning himself as an authoritative voice in his field. Our team learned about his voice, discovered what was meaningful to him and his target audience, and optimized this to create focused, engaging content that broadened his consumer scope.
Ready to Invest In Your Article-Writing.co Thought Leadership Package?
At Article-Writing.co, we understand that you have a lot on your plate. Let us share your voice on your behalf, so you don’t need to add more time to your busy schedule to write your own content marketing. Our strategists and creators will develop a plan to create engaging materials to represent your Thought Leader brand through your own specialized Thought Leadership Package.
Let us help you strengthen and broaden your consumer base for continued professional success. Book a call today.